Search Generation Engine could revolutionize the Google Search experience.
Google has announced a major update to its search engine, called SGE, or Semantic Generation Engine. SGE is a new AI-powered technology that will change the way people search for information online.
With SGE, users will be able to ask Google questions in a natural language conversational format. Google will then use its AI to generate answers to the user’s questions. This type of interaction will make it much easier for people to find the information they are looking for, and it will also make Google Search more powerful and versatile.
According to Google, the following types of content will be given more prominence with SGE:
- Facts: SGE will generate summaries of factual topics, such as historical events, scientific discoveries, and geographical features.
- Definitions: SGE will provide definitions for words and phrases.
- Comparisons: SGE will compare different products, services, and ideas.
- Summaries: SGE will summarize long pieces of text, such as news articles, blog posts, and research papers.
Here is a sneak peek at what’s next for AI and Google Search:
There are a number of pros and cons to SGE
- SGE will make it easier for people to find the information they are looking for.
- SGE will make Google Search more powerful and versatile.
- SGE will give more prominence to social and video content in search results.
- SGE could make it more difficult for businesses to rank on Google.
- SGE could lead to a decrease in the quality of search results.
- SGE could be used to spread misinformation.
The Impact of Google SGE on Website Content
SGE is likely to have a significant impact on the way your clients’ websites rank on Google. However, this is not unlike the other times Google has introduced new features in Google Search. It has always been true that in order to rank well, websites will need to be optimized for the various Google features and algorithm “factors” of the time.
Foundationally, nothing will change. Google will always put the highest value on quality content. Websites will still need to be well-written and informative, and they will still need to contain high-quality images and videos. For those who are already striving to produce the highest-quality content, with relevant information that is useful for their visitors, you are poised for success.
Throughout the Google SGE AI answers, Google will provide website references, so a searcher can click over to the website to learn more. Google seems to be working hard to integrate this new AI experience into the already-established Google Search as we know it today. Will the format be different? Yes, of course it will. The format will make it much easier for searchers to remain on Google for all of the information they are looking for. Will it be more difficult to entice searchers away from Google to your website(s)? This is another big yes, but not a challenge we can’t overcome by understanding how Google SGE operates, and optimizing our websites and content to be more readily shareable in this new format.
The Impact of Google SGE on Local SEO
It is likely that local businesses will be less affected by Google SGE than other more information-heavy topics/searches. This is because local SEO is typically focused on businesses and services that are located in a specific area. Google SGE is designed to answer more general questions, and it is not as well-suited for answering questions that are location-specific.
However, there are some ways that local businesses can still be affected by Google SGE. As mentioned previously, if a business does not have a strong online presence, it may be more difficult for their website to rank well in Google search results. Additionally, if a business does not have high-quality content on its website, it may be less likely to be featured in Google SGE answer boxes.
Overall, it is important for local businesses to be aware of the changes that come with Google SGE and to take steps to ensure that they are visible in Google search results.
Local SEO will remain a valuable tool for businesses, and it is not likely to be completely replaced by Google SGE.
Here are some tips for local businesses to improve their SEO in the wake of Google SGE:
- Create a strong online presence by creating a website, social media profiles, and Google Business profile(s) for your business.
- Optimize your website for search engines by using SEO best practices.
- Create high-quality content on your website that is informative and engaging.
- Build backlinks to your website from high-quality websites.
- Promote your website on social media and other online channels.
By following these tips, local businesses can improve their chances of ranking well in Google search results, and not only weather any Google Algorithm storm thrown at you, but also improve your chances of ranking well in the new Google SGE landscape.