Innovative public relations ideas for veterinary services and other pet service businesses can be a great way to grow your company. Getting your business mentioned in the newspaper, on the radio, or on local television can be powerful free advertising.
Three types of stories can benefit your business:
- Stories or articles written by you about your company or your staff.
- Stories or articles written about your company or your staff.
- Stories or articles on a subject that quote you as an expert.
There’s a saying in the newspaper business that “News is simply used as filler between the ads.” Getting featured on the news isn’t as hard as it seems. On a slow news day, every newspaper or broadcaster needs content to fill-in the gaps between paid advertisements. Offering your story at the right time can be an easy way to get free press.
Here are seven public relations techniques to try:
- Write an article about a current trend in pet health, and how to manage it.
- Write a letter to the editor as a follow-up to a recent story.
- Write a press release about a new piece of equipment or new service your company offers.
- Write a dramatic news story about a local animal hero.
- Develop a check list for good pet health.
- Offer to be a guest on local talk radio or local cable tv channels.
- Write a how-to article for rescuing wildlife.
By creating a relationship with local members of the media, you can offer them snippets of content to help fill their pages or time slots. Make yourself available for follow-up questions. Eventually, you’ll become the “go-to” source for stories about animal care.
Public relations takes time and energy, but the pay offs can be big and positive press can be extremely valuable.
An organized media relations plan takes time to implement, but can reap great returns over the long term.
If you’d like Mediastead to help your company strengthen their media ties, please give us a call at 215-253-3737.